Looks like this page will need some more sophisticated organization soon…
- The Canadian Internet Registration Authority, of which Daniel Shakhmundes is a registered member in good standing.
- Internet Archive
- The Internet Archive is building a digital library of Internet sites and other cultural artifacts in digital form. Like a paper library, it provides free access to researchers, historians, scholars, and the general public.
- germars web design
- Mary Sullivan provides website design for small-to-medium businesses and individuals. She also offers training for Microsoft software, scanning, Photoshop, and other common computer applications.
- Searchme Visual Search
- Another knock-off of an interface popularized by Apple/MacOS, this time with respect to the web and its various media.
Information Technology Publications
The following are web-sites for magazines to which I am subscribed:
- IT Business
- The home of Computing Canada, Computer Dealer News (CDN), Executives in a Digital Global Economy (EDGE), and other great publications.
- Breaking technology news including hardware, security, networking, software, reviews, and research.
- Providing information technology news articles, newsletters, blogs, reviews and conferences covering all aspects of information technology including computer networking and network security and more.
- CIO Insight
- Serving the strategic IT and business information needs of today’s high powered, senior level technology executives.
- Networking news, reviews, opinions and forums from the Leader in Network Knowledge.
Computing Security (Firewalls, Scanners & Cleaners for Viruses/Virii, Trojans, Malware, and Spyware)
Free tools that provide the necessary basic security for computers using the Microsoft Windows Operating System:
- Trend Micro – Free online virus Scan
- It’s not real-time, but it’s very effective, and also scans for spyware, trojans, and other undesirable software produced by unethical villains. Housecall is now multi-platform, supporting the more-secure Firefox and operating systems other than Microsoft Windows.
- Grisoft Freeweb: AVG Free Edition
- AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition, a fast and effective real-time scanner for computers operating Microsoft Windows.
- Zone Labs: ZoneAlarm
- The basic ZoneAlarm (i.e. without Pro, Anti-Spyware, Antivirus, etc.) is free and easy-to-use firewall that blocks hackers and other unknown threats in real-time.
Free Email Services
My recommended no-cost email services; generally they are web-based:
- Google Gmail
- One of the best free web-based email services. An intuitive interface that performs fast! Here you will also have storage space that is virtually unrivaled and steadily increasing.
- Yahoo! Mail
- I have been using Yahoo! since the mid-ninties. I consider Yahoo!’s greatest rival to be Google. For no cost, Yahoo! still offers plenty of storage space, and probably has the most feature-rich service. For years, including free POP3 email has distinguished this one from most other services.
- Microsoft [Windows Live] Hotmail
- This is the bottom of the barrel. You truly get what you pay for here: The most spam and in-your-face advertising, the slowest and least intuitive interface, and the least reliable.
Unsolicited Commercial Email (UCE a.k.a. “SPAM”) Reduction
UCE can be very distracting, as well as a waste of time & resources. For more than a decade now, I have published my Yahoo! Mail address all over the internet. I also have several other publicly-known email addresses. However, it is rare that I get more than three “spams” on any given day. Fight back and they will leave you alone too!
- Use Spamcop to automate reporting of UCE. Use this service religiously, and in a few months you will find that you are getting less junk email. Spamcop’s basic service (all you really need) is free.
- SpamSource by Daedalus Software
- SpamSource is a Spam Reporting add-in for Microsoft Outlook 2000/XP/2003. Automate your Spamcop submissions to just one click with this free tool, since Outlook does not attach emails properly.
- The Spamhaus Project
- Spamhaus tracks the Internet’s worst Spammers, known Spam Gangs and Spam Support Services, and works with ISPs and Law Enforcement Agencies to identify and remove persistent spammers from the Internet.
- The Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial Email (CAUCE)
- An ad hoc, all volunteer organization, created by Netizens to advocate for a legislative solution to the problem of UCE (a/k/a “spam”).
- Tiger’s Lair
- The martial arts school of Sensei Andre Lemieux in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada.
- Glenridge Martial Arts
- Goju Ryu Karate, Tai Chi, Kendo and Jiu-Jitsu, for children, men and women of all ages, in St. Catharines, Niagara, Ontario, Canada.
- Shin Gan Goju Ryu Karate
- Goju Ryu Karate and Cardio Kick Punch, for children, men and women of all ages, in Welland, Niagara, Ontario, Canada.